Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Petite Brioche a Tete

I set my internet homepage to cnbc.com, but really it's just a facade. I read all of one news article - currently its on the fiat/chrysler takeover, and my mind starts wandering. And as I wait for the online video on china's inflation data to load, I'm opening up another tab on the explorer window, googling for new recipes to try. This time a brioche recipe caught my eye.

Brioche is THE bread to which all rich breads are compared. At least 20% flour to butter ratio is used when making brioche, but normally 50% or higher is used making it decadent and devilishly delicious. According to Peter Reinhart, author of The Bread Baker's Apprentice, there are three versions of a basic brioche: rich man’s brioche, middle class brioche, and poor man’s brioche. Since butter is the most expensive ingredient in this bread, it stands to reason that the rich man’s brioche contains the most amount of butter.

There are several ways to make brioche but the cutest looking ones are petite brioche a tete, small fluted rolls with "heads". So excitedly, I run into the kitchen and pulled out my fluted moulds from the drawer. Some guy from Moody's had begun speaking on the inflation data, but by then my mind had entered a different world altogether.

No comments:

Post a Comment